“Q & A for Injectables:
- What are fillers and injectables?
- Answer: Fillers and Injectables are solutions such as Botox, hyaluronic acids, collagen-based stimulators and more. They are able to address signs of aging, volume loss and deep facial lines or wrinkles without resorting to surgery. The injectable revolution is a driving force behind the increase in noninvasive cosmetic treatments, and advancements in the use of injectables have come a long way in preventing and reversing the visible signs of aging, with or without surgery. Today’s injectable menu offers a wide array of products to address not only the wrinkles themselves, but the muscles that cause lines and furrows to form. Injectable fillers plump up wrinkles while denervating agents, such as Botox, prevent the muscle contractions that lead to etched lines. The “mix-and-match” approach is gaining popularity and studies have shown that using denervating agents in conjunction with fillers can lead to longer-lasting results due to impairing the muscle function around the areas treated with Botox and plumping area’s treated with fillers.
- When do I know I’m ready?
- Answer: There is no specific chronological age that determines when you should have a rejuvenative procedure; the best way to know when it’s right to call for a consultation is when you look in the mirror and see something that truly bothers you. Likewise, there is only one person to have injectables for – you and you alone. It should never be undertaken due to pressure from others.
- What are the risks and potential side effects?
- Answer: Contraindications and cautions are listed under each injectable.
- What are the costs??
- Answer: Prices are dependent upon what you actually have done. Please call us at 212.319.1767 with questions, for more specific pricing questions and to reserve your appointment. .
BOTOX® is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate-to-severe frown lines between the brows (referred to as the “angry 11’s”), indelible forehead lines, and crepey crow’s feet in people 18 years and up, for a temporary period of time. Within days, you may see a marked improvement in the moderate-to-severe frown lines between your brows. Lines continue to improve for up to 30 days, and results can last for up to 4 months. Individual results may vary. Patients on a regular anti aging facial program such as monthly “Forever Magnifique” treatments usually do enjoy extended life from their BOTOX® and injectables. The results are visible, a treatment with BOTOX® will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you’ve “had work done.” The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is temporarily reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows. BOTOX® is an injectable temporary neuromodulator used to remove the wrinkles and folds of unwanted expression. Botox has been implemented in medicine since 1948 and carries with it one of the safest profiles of all drugs with FDA approval. It was originally used for patients with torticollis (permanently paralyzed necks due to spasm). It was first discovered to have beneficial applications in cosmetic surgery in the late 1990’s.
You should not be treated with BOTOX® if you have:
*A disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome).
* Allergies to any botulinum toxin product
* Had any side effect from any botulinum toxin product in the past
* A breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
* Swallowing problems
* Bleeding problems
* Plans to have surgery
* Had recent surgery on your face
* Weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble raising your eyebrows
* Severly drooping eyelids
* Any other change in the way your face normally looks
* Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if BOTOX® can harm your unborn baby.
* Are breast-feeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if BOTOX® passes into breast milk.
Restylane, Juvederm & Perlane
Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane, and Perlane are the most common hyaluronic-acid fillers. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that occurs naturally in the human body and can be likened to the glue that holds your cells together. Juvederm and Restylane are very similar compounds most commonly used to address the nasolabial folds (the lines that go from the edges of the nose to the corners of the mouth), the marionette lines (the lines that go from the corners of the mouth down to the chin), the lips, and small contour irregularities of the face (acne scars, pits, divots, asymmetries). The hyaluronic-acid products last on average 7-8 months. Patients on a regular anti aging facial program such as monthly “Forever Magnifique” treatments usually do enjoy extended life from their injectables.Their effect is immediate. When looking in the mirror a few days after injection, you might even notice an increased improvement, as the product helps lay down the framework for stronger skin by creating new collagen and elastin. Tired, sagging facial skin, thin lips, wrinkles and folds can all be corrected with fillers. The face is left refreshed and volumized, with the smoothness and beauty of your younger years.
Products in the Restylane family should not be used by people with previous bad allergies, particularly to microorganisms known as gram-positive bacteria, or by people with serious allergies to drugs that have previously required in-hospital treatment. These products should not be used by people with bleeding disorders. Products should not be injected anywhere except the skin, just under the skin (Perlane and Perlane-L only), or in the lips (Restylane and Restylane-L only). Restylane-L and Perlane-L should not be used by anyone with a known allergy to lidocaine.
Radiesse is a heavier, more durable filler (as compared to hyaluronic acid) used for problems that are deep and advanced in both women and men. The composition of Radiesse is made up of hydroxyapatite crystals. These molecules are, essentially the precursors of bone, allowing Radiesse to be used for deeper problems that require longer-lasting structural integrity. FDA approved, Radiesse is mixed with a numbing agent, making the injections as painless as possible. It is best used for deep nasolabial folds (the folds between the sides of the nose and the corners of the mouth), deep marionette lines (the lines between the corners of the mouth and the jawline), volumizing and enhancing the cheekbones, augmenting the chin and repairing contouring deformities of the nose (“non-surgical nosejob”). Radiesse lasts approximately up to a year or more. Patients on a regular anti aging facial program such as monthly “Forever Magnifique” treatments usually do enjoy extended life from their injectables. The effect is immediate. Like other volumizing fillers, the product attracts water while concurrently laying down the framework for stronger skin by generating collagen and elastin production.
Contraindicated for patients with severe allergies manifested by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple severe allergies, Not to be used in patients with known hypersensitivity to any of the components.
RADIESSE injectable implant is contraindicated for patients with bleeding disorders. Use of RADIESSE injectable implant in any person with active skin inflammation or infection in or near the treatment area should be deferred until the inflammatory or infectious process
has been controlled. Injection procedure reactions have been observed consisting mainly of short-term (i.e., < 7 days) bruising, redness and swelling.
Sculptra Aesthetic is a facial injectable that works gradually in a series of treatments, on average, three injection sessions over a few months, for a subtle, more youthful looking appearance. Sculptra Aesthetic targets the underlying causes of the signs of facial aging. It can give you noticeable results that emerge subtly and can last for more than 2 years. It begins to work within the deep dermis, where your skin’s structure is reinforced as Sculptra Aesthetic helps to replace lost collagen. This reinforced collagen structure provides a foundation that gradually restores the look of fullness of your shallow to deep facial wrinkles and folds that have depleted over time. Sculptra Aesthetic is different because it gradually and subtly corrects these facial wrinkles and folds. This can provide a refined, more youthful looking appearance that can last for more than 2 years. Patients on a regular anti aging facial program such as monthly “Forever Magnifique” treatments usually do enjoy extended life from their injectables. Individual results and treatment sessions may vary.
Sculptra Aesthetic is FDA approved in the United States and has been used worldwide since 1999. Sculptra Aesthetic is made of a synthetic material called poly-L-lactic acid that is absorbed naturally by the body and has been used for years in dissolvable stitches.
Side effects reported include injection site pain, redness, bruising, bleeding, or swelling. Small bumps under the skin that can sometimes be noticeable when pressing on the treated area may also occur. Larger lumps, with or without inflammation, have also been reported. Other side effects may include the delayed development of non-visible, small bumps under the skin sometimes noticeable when pressing on the treated area. You should not use Sculptra Aesthetic if you are allergic to any ingredient of the product or have a history of keloid formation or hypertrophic scarring. It should not be injected while you have an active skin infection or inflammation in the treatment area and should not be injected into the red area of the lip. Side effects may include injection site discomfort, redness, bruising, bleeding, itching and swelling. Other side effects may include small lumps under the skin that are sometimes noticeable when pressing on the treated area. Larger lumps, some with delayed onset with or without inflammation or skin discoloration, have also been reported.
As early signs of aging make themselves known, non-invasive options have become more popular, affordable, and effective. It is now possible to delay what might otherwise have been an inevitable surgery by employing a combination of Botox and facial fillers. This can take years off one’s appearance without surgery and without downtime.